Danger: The Toxic Effects of Rat Poison in Pets

Do you have a rodent problem? Do you have small creatures in the house that will eat the poison, even if it is NOT for them? There are many people with this problem, so if you happen to be one of them, no worries! Cloud Peak is an expert in non-rodents eating rodenticides – it happens more often than you think. If you are having a rodenticide emergency, call (307) 347-2781 for immediate assistance! 

One thing that many people do not realize is that not all rodenticides are deadly to pets. There are different poison ingredients, like Warfarin, that will not kill your pet. This doesn’t mean it’s ok not take them in if they eat a non-deadly poison! No matter what brand you buy, your pet will still get sick from the poison, so please bring them in so that professionals can prevent any further harm. 

What Rodenticide Does to Your Pet

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is pexels-alexas-fotos-2189599-640.jpg

The effects of the rodenticide depends entirely on the type you use. The most common type is anticoagulant. This means that the blood does not clot, so the animal will have severe internal bleeding and will eventually die from it. Symptoms from this particular type do not usually show three days after consumption. We will get more into the symptoms you should be on the lookout for later in this article. Another type of rodenticide is Cholecalciferol.  It is the most dangerous to your  dog or cat if they consume it, as it causes kidney failure.  Bromethalin is another rodenticide that is extremely toxic to your pets. It causes cerebral edema (swelling), as it is a neurotoxin. The last kind of rodenticide contains zinc and aluminium phosphides. This type is much less common, but it still exists. It causes lung irritation and is a toxin. Every time your pet throws up after ingesting the poison, the toxins get stronger in their system and cause much more damage. If you would like to learn more about what happens when your pet ingests these poisons, check out this link

Symptoms

 As previously mentioned, the symptoms of poison ingestion do not usually show up until three days, or past the five day mark, of consumption. However, if you know that your pet has eaten rodenticide, please do not wait for symptoms to occur before you seek medical attention. Otherwise, be aware of the following symptoms: 

  • Weakness or change in energy levels
  • Nose bleeds
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coughing 
  • Vomiting blood
  • Having blood in the stool
  • Pale gums
  • Bruising
  • Bloody urine
  • Decreased appetite
  • Halitosis (bad breath)
  • Lack of coordination
  • Tremors 
  • Seizures

If your pet is exhibiting any of these symptoms, call your vet immediately. The effects of rat poison ingestion are very difficult, and sometimes impossible, to treat. The sooner you get your pet into the care of medical professionals, the better the survival rate. Also keep in mind that your pet does not need to have all these symptoms to have ingested rat poison. 

What to Do If Your Pet Does Ingest Rodenticide 

After noticing these symptoms, take as many notes as possible about the situation so that your vet will be able to effectively help. Rodenticides have different toxicity levels and the amount your pet consumes varies from poison to poison. After taking note of what your pet is experiencing, call the vet right away. They will walk you through some of the process and what they’ll need to give your dog or cat the best care possible for the circumstance they’re in. If possible, bring in the container that the rodenticide came in. This allows the vet to make a much more accurate and helpful read on the situation. Do not give your pet anything else to consume, and let the vet take care of their diet and water intake until they have recovered. In some poisons, eating more will cause more vomiting, which will cause the toxins to work faster and more effectively to bring your pet’s health down. 
If you have any questions about what kind of rodenticides would be best for you to use, contact Cloud Peak Veterinary Clinic. We have the knowledge and resources to take care of your four-legged friend and we want to help you. Give us a call at (307) 347-2781. Our website also houses much more information for you, so check that out!

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Related Posts